The Animal Doctors take our commitment to ethical practice very seriously. We adhere to the principles of “Total Professional Service”, in accordance with the Supply and Use of Restricted Drugs policy. This policy is a guideline of the Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of Victoria. This means that we will:
- Only dispense restricted (prescription only) drugs when the animal is directly under our care
- Establish that there is a therapeutic need for the drug before dispensing
- Provide for after-care necessary for the animal’s welfare
- Ensure the client understands the use of the drug
- Dispense only a reasonable amount of the drug to treat the immediate problem
- Always hold the welfare of the animal as the highest priority when dispensing restricted drugs
- Adhere to the legal requirements of the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances legislation
- Only supply drugs under the direct authority of the registered veterinary practitioner.
The Animal Doctors can only supply restricted drugs when the above requirements are satisfied.